Sunday, March 24, 2013

Thank You, Delicate Steve




These dudes are so good. Seriously. I stumbled across the five-piece Jersey band last summer (2012) and have really not stopped listening to them since. It's actually really revved up lately and I've become kind of, borderline obsessed. Which is why I'm so compelled to talk about it...because everyone I hang out with in real life has heard this shpeel and I want to just shout it from the rooftops/ paint it across the sky/ etc.

A dance amongst strum-heavy rock music, the improvisational, creative rhythms of the jam band genre, the plugged-in crescendos of all things electro, and often reminiscent in robust overall sound to Ravi Shankar's sitar (RIP), this mostly instrumental blast of energy reminds me that there is good music being made out there, BY GUITARS! And for that, we should be thankful. Led by guitar and musical stylings from the 25-year old brain/ spirit of the amazing and swoony Steve Marion, who says he'd prefer an athlete's schedule to a rocker's any day, I feel like you can really hear the words to their songs when there aren't any...if you know what I mean. I've come to terms with the fact that I prefer music with no vocals, given the option, though there are exceptions, as with anything. The guitar licks offered by Delicate Steve, though, really do replace the vocals and that is just a rare breed of modern musician. Steve is joined by Mike Duncan (percussion), Christian Peslak (guitar), Adam Pumilia (bass), and Mickey Sanchez (keyboard), and they all wear cool tank tops from what I can tell. They are a rare breed of two-album bands for me, in that I do not prefer either and actually like them both. A lot. In most two-album-band scenarios, I will either really like the first one and the second album just doesn't measure up, or really appreciate the newer album for its growth and feel kind of distant from the first. In this case, one thing that I can say, is that I hear a significant difference between the two pieces of work, but I'm interested in them both. It's kind of like having a cool velveteen jumper to change into after wearing other cool clothes to work all day or something. Ok. so that is a boring example. But the point is that it's great to have options.

The first album, Wondervisions, (2011) ignites like a slow match with the opening track, Welcome- Begin which kicks off the musical journey in realistic fashion by the sounds of electric guitar tuning, and feedback, leading into the layered-beats-over-guitar-sound that IS Delicate Steve. Next comes The Ballad of Speck and Pebble, which entirely makes me feel like I'm longboarding down the Santa Monica Pier and I've never even been there. But I feel like it's really cute that they sing those sing-songy notes over top of the same beat like we all really do when we hear our favorite song. Working to explain something, it just seems like this album continues to unfold a partnership with the listener that asks him to listen, but doesn't beg, and I think that is what is most endearing. Each track takes on a patient expectation, building from a mellow guitar foundation, like a dream's soundtrack, and into a more explosive punch-line as its story unfolds. And because there's no words (pretty much), you can put in your own, or just appreciate that there aren't any, and that is pretty cool too. Words can be constrictive and without them there is so much potential for beauty and interpretative glory through our own lense. The church aroma and opening tones of Z Expression totally inspire me. It's some deep shit. It's like...someone getting you, or I guess, feeling a moment of empathy, so..maybe you getting them, but it's definitely some instance where you hold hands. It ends vulnerably both in sound and listener facade and then leads into Don't Get Stuck (Proud Elephants) which I think is one of my favorites all-around. It's a deep breath. It's an open door. It's the bootstraps of the album; it says, we are not giving up, and it offers some hope, for what is to come for all of us I think, and it quite literally picks it up. Yes, in tempo, but in spirit, and I think I always feel encouraged when I hear it. And theoretically, this makes sense, as the song's title (Don't Get Stuck (Proud Elephants) ) offers some of the best advice in its essence. It should be noted that I always think of the little elephants walking in a line in the Jungle Book when I see the title. Not surprisingly comes along Butterfly as this album really does feel like a fantasmal journey from which we all blossom out of a cocoon like a beautiful, just-listened-to-our-first-Delicate-Steve winged wonder. Except it seriously keeps happening, every time, and hasn't gotten old.

Then, there's the second album, Positive Force (2012), which is altogether more psychedelic. I, for one, am way down with that. Like many sophomore projects, the structure is more focused, and also more robust. There's a recipe apparent, woven like marble cake, first with the poignant and identifiable sound of waning guitars, and infused with bass-y beats and plenty of percussion that really leave a good taste in your mouth. Greeted by synthesized density, and enveloped early by the warmth and positivity of "Ramona Reborn," you feel at peace with the title of this record. "Wally Wilder" wanes next, sunbathing you in alliteration and upbeat snuggles that make you feel like you should definitely be dancing in Keds across a checkered floor. (I'm fairly certain I Just Kapowski'd the Max...because that's what "cool" means deep down in my childhood.) To be honest, the first unexpected twist follows next, as Two Lovers appeals to the sentimental and the sensual, and leans towards pop-rock utilizing some of the band's only audible lyrics. The tones of video games pitchy foundation carry us through Big Time Receiver into the trippy mindfuck that is Touch and into the very pretty title track. Maybe I'm subconsciously swayed by its title, but Love comes next (marriage, baby carriage, etc)...and it's one of the best. The four-minute-twenty-second Redeemer climbs around the high notes and warms you up for Afria Talks to You which is dance-party-ready and upbeat, crossing into the pop-sounding genre of a four-count rhythm under a guitar singing you a love story. Has music has ever taken you to a place where you're just like- how do I hug you and how are you intangible? Luna feels like you're floating in space when you listen to it, so I guess its celestial title has some bearing. All else I'll say on this piece of art is that the waning slide guitar in the track, Love reminds me that love is beautiful in highs and lows, and we all need this reminder sometimes. So thank you, Delicate Steve. For everything.

_____
I started writing this over a month ago to prepare for tomorrow's show at Subterranean, but I've been so nervous to discuss something that has been so personal and timely in my individual evolution. I think that it's worth your Monday to show up tomorrow. There's two openers, and the show starts at 8pm. Please do yourself a favor.

No comments:

Post a Comment